Pages

Friday 14 August 2015

some ideas after watching the "Maker"

“Maker” is a movie which introduced several great contemporary designers. It shows a lot of brilliant ideas. All of these ideas have a deep relationship for our society,  they really opened my eyes. However, what impressed me most was a saying in this movie. A designer said: someone may think the my “art idea” is not useful for people’s daily life. But if you said art was created for someone. Every art might be useless.

I really agree with this opinion. To be honest I have been asked such question like “who did you design for?” when I was interviewed by some “famous” university. I really wonder that this kind of “concept” still exist today. Previously, artists had no choice due to they must create for the “noble”, “church” or “royal family”. A good example in the art history is Caravaggio’s two “Saint Matthew” oil painting. He must change the Saint Matthew more “beautiful” due to the church’s requirement, although the first one was much more vividly. So if we have still said art is used to service for others, it might be a little bit strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment